12.28.2006

Sex and Sexibility

Yeah, I made that word up. Fuck you.

I've only JUST discovered the story of Jessica Cutler, as well as her blog. I've also ordered her book because I'm a whimsical little bastard prone to spontaneous purchases.

I think I can say she's one of my new heros. First off, her blog is hilarious. This woman is not only beautiful, bright, and a sexpot, she's also got a biting wit and no fear of blunt truth:

"I am not even trying to write a Very Special Xmas blog post. Please girl, this is me, remember? I would sooner live blog my next abortion than post something like this."

Anyone who can make such a tasteless crack, and show absolutely no qualms, about an abortion (a la Fight Club-"I want to have your abortion.") deserves a pat on the back. I, unlike many, appreciate humor directed at or containing sensitive or taboo subjects. Making a subject taboo only adds to the unpleasantness of the subject. But if we're comfortable enough to joke about it, we're more likely to be capable of dealing with it.

Besides, tasteless humor pisses people off, and very few things are more fun than pissing people off over something not worth getting angry over. Unless, of course, it sparks a jihad.

Although, I must admit there was a great deal of ironic humor in the Muslim community's reaction to those Danish comics poking fun at extremist Muslim violence. "How dare you depict Muslims as violent people? We will now break into worldwide rioting, killing innocents and destroying portions of cities, over A FEW FUCKING CARTOONS." I can understand why they feel misjudged. And yes, I know a lot of the big to-do was over the depiction of Muhammed, which is prohibited in Islam. But it was also about the depiction of Muslims as violent. So leave me alone.

I've gotten a tad off track, haven't I?

Anyway, I also love people as open as Ms. Cutler about sex and sexuality and all that. It's inspiring. Most people are such damned prudes on the outside, but it's always the prudiest (nope, not a real word) that are actually the dirtiest. Marilyn Manson wrote about that very thing in one of his pre-worldwide-fame songs, "Wrapped in Plastic." The song is about "...how the typical American family will wrap its couch in plastic and the question, 'Will it keep the dirt out or will it keep the dirt in?'" (Quote taken from his autobiography, The Long Hard Road Out of Hell.") Take Mark Foley, for example. Here's a guy who spearheaded a bill protecting children from internet predators, who actually turns out to be soliciting sex from underage boys online.

This blog is a flawless example of me running around, following every tangent I can, as well as my sarcastic, completely unnecessary defense of myself. Cope.

Basically I think Jessica Cutler rocks, and I'll write about how much her book rocks after I read it. It gets here Wednesday at the latest, so that should be fairly soon.

I'm out for now. Maybe more later. Tangent-running is exhausting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and i thought washington was never going to give me a stiffy again after nancy pelosi became house majority leader...

bo-i-i-i-i-ng