12.13.2006

If you don't like Tool

...then you're probably a tool.

Currently listening to Tool's most recent album, 10,000 Days, and thought I'd give whoever reads this thing this early in its life my take on it.

On the whole, I love it. Now, while there is a pun in that statement, I am by no means implying that the album is butt rock. As far as Tool albums go, it elaborates on various aspects of the band's sound from previous records, including forward, heavier tracks reminiscient of some of the material from Aenimaand the vast soundscapes and mellow interludes of Lateralus. All in all this combination lends to a feeling of tension and release throughout, although the album is by no means inconsistent. As is typical of any Tool album, the track placement is flawless, blending the songs together into a work of art that is easy to listen to all the way through without skipping around.

Maynard said in an interview in the June 2006 issue ofRevolver that 10,000 Days is Tool's blues album, stating the complete frustration and loss of hope he's felt over America's situation at home an on the global stage. This feeling comes through on a great deal of the tracks; there's definitely a lot of darkness on several tracks. But what's a Tool album without a little darkness, right? It's not like it was all puppies and rainbows before.

I'm going to go ahead and digress for a moment. I, personally, have a thing for darker, less than happy music. I practically have an entire philosophy built on it. In my opinion, the art with the greatest depth is that which is inspired by pain, anger, frustration, etc. I can't even start to write happy songs that are even a 10th as good as the darker stuff that I write. Happy music, to me, just feels... shallow? I find it hard to be inspired by somebody singing about how happy they are. It takes far larger balls to get up on stage or release an album singing about your pain and your mistakes and the darkness we all face in our lives than it does to sing about how much you love your Chevy. Think of it this way: are you more comfortable telling your best friend about some terrible misery in your life or a tragedy in your past and whatnot, or are you more comfortable telling them that your dog did something that made you laugh? I would think most people would reach for the brighter of the two (the dog, people). Now, multiply the discomfort you feel over telling your best friend about something that's wrong with you by a few hundred thousand, that being the number of complete strangers that the average recording artist's music will reach.

It takes a hefty pair to cry in front of a roomful (stadiumful?) of strangers who are judging you by everything you say and every move you make, down to what you're freakin' wearing.

I apologize for that, but if I feel I need to elaborate on something from time to time, I swerve full into it. Just bear with me when that happens, I'll likely get back on track after a few paragraphs or so.

So anyway, I highly recommend the fat bass-drums-and-guitar-laden newest album of Tool to anyone who likes freaky layered time signatures, intricate, twisting melodies, and vocals that oftentimes function as simply another instrument in the band. Also, if you feel like "going deep" and unravelling the mysteries of the cosmos, you can do a great deal of that with the lyrics on this Tool album, just like all the others. I'm not going to go into all that, because you could fill volumes with the references Maynard makes in his writing , but if you're game for that sort of thing than these guys are for you.

Well that was a slightly shallow album review I think. At least I got to throw in a bit of personal philosophy in there.

More bloggings tomorrow likely, until then,


















Anne Coulter's still a whorebag.

No comments: