4.16.2007

NIN Reworked

Sam will be covering NIN's new album Year Zero as well I believe, so I'll just lay down my take.

At first, honestly, I didn't like it. It hurts to say that, because Trent Reznor is one of my Holy Trinity (Reznor, Yorke, Hetfield), but it's true. It was just so... unexpected. I couldn't even get through the first 4 tracks. But this week I forced myself to listen through the whole thing, and it's a goddamned good fucking thing I did, because it turns out Year Zero is an excellent freaking album once you get past the initial shock.

Reznor has once again successfully reinvented NIN's sound, while still making it sound like NIN. That's the damn cool thing about Trent- no matter how different the style is or whatever, you can always tell that he's touched it. The album is brutal, brooding, beautiful, intense, and most importantly, impossible to just write off. Believe me, I tried at first, but I just couldn't do it.

(Really, if Trent put out an album consisting in its entirety of him farting into a microphone and adding various reverbs and other effects to it, I'd freaking buy it, and I'd freaking love it in private. But I'd be a pretentious asshole about it in public.)

So, basically, Year Zero blows my mind, and you all should go buy it, and not illegally download it like I did because I'm poor (someday I'm going to send Trent a manila envelope full of cash to make up for all of his music that I've stolen).

And... stuff.

No comments: