4.25.2007

Art Is Resistance

What better way to start out my posts on this blog than to review Nine Inch Nails' new album Year Zero. There are so many things to say about this album that it has been hard to write something more coherent than it rocked my freakin' world. Although that might be an appropriate review for Cory, I have a hard time sounding like such a fanboy; so this will be my attempt at reviewing Year Zero and the universe it has created.

I first heard Survivalism when it was "leaked" a few weeks before its release date and I got the impression that the song was a loose follow up to The Hand That Feeds. In many ways, it really is, but what I didn't realize is that the whole album would have this political/rebellious/angsty theme. Unlike With Teeth, which is much more traditional Nine Inch Nails album refined to musical perfection, Year Zero is gasp A CONCEPT ALBUM. Thats right, you heard me, Year Zero is actually an album that doesn't have to do with Trent Reznor's self loathing. It actually has a story line and even has an entire alternate reality game that was started a few
months before the album was released.

I have to admit, my first reaction when I realized this was one of shock, surprise, and glee all at the same time. While there is a whole game with the album, I'm not going to get into that this post. I'll save that for later. Right now, I just want to review what I thought about the album
itself. The first thing I noticed about the album when I bought it (yes Cory, I actually bought it) was the fact that the CD is black, but when you heat it up, the black turns to white and you can see Nine Inch Nails, zeroes and ones, and the copyright notice at the bottom. Pretty damn cool I must say. Aside from that, you have your album artwork, which is kind of strange by
the way, and the liner with all the songs lyrics.

Year Zero starts out with HYPERPOWER! an instrumental intro that reminds me
of Pilgrimage on The Fragile. After that we kick right into The Beginning of the End which is a great opening track with a nice swagger to it. We move right into Survivalism with no delay and that songs just gets you really pumped up for the rest of the album. Oddly enough, I would say that Survivalism has the most energy in the album so it gets you all excited, just to relax and have a more political/angsty feel. Odd, but Nine Inch Nails pulls it off. Survivalism really sets the tone of the album for me with lyrics focusing on America and Americans attitude.
I got my propaganda
I got revisionism
I got my violence
In high-def ultra realism
All a part of this great nation
Selfishness, apathy, and manifest destiny run thoughout this song and the rest of the album.

The Good Soldier is one of my favorite songs on the album right now and it has a sort of relaxed and uncaring attitude. From The Good Soldier, Vessel breaks in with a noisy, very Nine Inch Nails beat. This song really is what Trent Reznor was talking about when he said Year Zero was "Very noisy, fucking cool."

I think the standout song on this whole album is Capital G. While all the other songs completely kick ass, this is just so good! If you haven't heard this song, you really need to go out and do that now. Last I checked, it was on Nine Inch Nails Myspace page. Go listen to it now, I'll wait, seriously.

OK good.

I'll stop reviewing each track individually now, but what I can say is that the
album has a great flow and each song is carefully ordered. Although I love the whole album, I have to say I have grown extra attached to a few of the songs. Right now, my favorite songs on the album in no particular oder are: Vessel, Capital G, My Violent Heart, God Given, The Great Destroyer, and Zero Sum. As you can see, I had a hard time actually picking out those songs that rose above the rest.

While Year Zero is quite a change from the Nine Inch Nails we have all grown up with and love, but Year Zero completely pulls off a musical reinvention without a hitch. I have become completely enamored with the new sound and attitude of this album. While it may be a bit shocking at first, once you give it a listen, you will never doubt Trent Reznor's genius
again.


Sam

No comments: